Yo yo yo… Welcome to Adventure Sauce
Hey, what’s up?
If you are anything like Benjamin, the creator of this blog, community, and show… you probably also lose sleep dreaming about:
- Going places
- Doing things
- Meeting people
- And creating stuff
Or maybe you just have this intense fiery desire to experience more of the world, but aren’t sure where to start?
Well, if this sounds like you, then you are in the right spot.
(If you were looking for cat videos, sorry none yet… but soon .
What is Adventure Sauce?
Adventure Sauce is a website designed to help you take a journey of self-discovery in a playful, non-boring way.
Aristotle, maybe one of the smartest dudes ever, once said, “Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.”
But if we were to hop into some newfangled time machine and zoom back to visit lil’ Benjamin in college, we would probably see him with his nose in a Nintendo 64 game, or spending Friday night reading something like “On The Road” or “Into the Wild” or “The Electric Kool-aid Acid Test.”
In fact, Benjamin was a very nice and good boy.
Not that there is anything wrong with being nice, reading, or video games… but he (okay, he is me and I can’t keep up the charade any longer ) also wanted to be able to do things like:
- Work on a project that was meaningful to the world and fun.
- Date ladies that were beautiful, creative, and spunky
- Create eye-popping, artistic photos and videos
- Travel around the world in style
- Know my self and become the man I could feel brewing within
But I was sorta shy and quiet.
Partially due to my introspective nature and partially because I didn’t think I was all that awesome.
And… my college degree never showed me the knowledge I really wanted. There wasn’t any religions that could show me God or Enlightenment. My parents couldn’t sit me down for a chat and teach me all I was curious about with sexuality. And I couldn’t find my self in any of the self-help books I read.
What I was really looking for wasn’t in any book.
I had to find my own way.
Albert Einstein, another pretty smart guy, once said…
“The only source of knowledge is from experience.”
And as I graduated from college, my guts were starving to experience more of life. So I moved to Farmville, Virginia and started working 120 hours a week helping troubled young men get their lives back on track. This started my training as an Experiential Educator and I got sucked into this place. My dreams of travel were put on hold, and I didn’t leave until 6 years later… and I’m proud to say, for the final 2 of those years I was the Program Director of the school.
Gosh, those kids taught me a lot.
And those lessons gave me the confidence, self-awareness, and communication skills to start on another series of adventures. These were the ones I had always dreamed of too. And although I don’t want to brag or rub them in your face, over the next +4 years I would:
- Hitchhike over 23,000 miles around the USA,
- Share rides with people for over 10,000 miles,
- Stay in the homes of 72 people,
- Create a mini-viral video,
And along the way, I realized something…
I learn and grow best by seeking experiences. And new experiences can be scary and uncomfortable, so to motivate myself, I had to make it fun.
And with this intention, the concept of Adventure Sauce was born.
How Adventure Sauce works…
Let’s break it down a bit further with some definitions:
- Adventure: A risky and/or exciting activity.
- Sauce: A substance that adds flavor and sometimes nourishment.
But in my adventures, I found 3 ingredients that make a meaningful and fun adventure:
- Play: Children learn so much by going outside to play. Why do we can’t we do it as adults?
- Purpose: We each have passions that make us feel alive, happy, and worthwhile. Why not create an adventure around something that could help your career, love life, your art, and your soul?
- Risk: Without some element of danger, there is no growth. But you don’t need to do anything to get yourself killed, just push your own personal boundaries.
So… Adventure Sauce is about doing a risky, playful, and purposeful activity, so you can add flavor (fun) and nourishment (wisdom) to your life.
Adventure Sauce is basically a modern rite of passage…
And for thousands of years, tribal cultures have initiated their young adults with certain rituals. Often, these seem silly, stupid, or barbaric to us modern folks, who can tweet, Google, and blog at the same time. But if you look at the psychological evidence, you will find complexity, depth, and wisdom in these traditions.
And are we happier than them? Do we feel whole and settled? I sure did not.
And of course, I’m not going to sting you with bullet ant (named because it feels like you are getting shot and the pain last for over 24 hours) like the Brazilian Satere-Maewe tribe.
And while you could take this journey sitting in meditation on a mat or contemplating the flowers in your backyard… I write and make videos mostly about traveling. But I’ll also be touching on subjects that came up in my travels like creativity, soul, love, and sex.
All of this phat information is designed to help you find your own way.
Sort of like the Buddha said, “Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it.”
Traveling is a blast… and it changes you.
My Nana got me hooked on travel in the 6th grade, when she took me, my Polaroid camera, and my fanny pack to Portugal. And now I have dreams of traveling around the world, setting up a mobile Adventure Sauce headquarters in all the places I have wanted to live.
Because there is something about waking about in a new bed, in a far-off city, and in a different culture that can show you the truth of your self.
Jeffery Kottler Ph.D. agrees with me. In fact, he invented the term, “transformative travel,” as a way to describe this form of traveling. In his research he claimed that there is “no other human activity that has a greater potential to alter your perceptions or the way you choose your life.”
Basically, travel can change you.
Anthony Bourdain agrees with us as well. “Travel changes you. As you move through this life, this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life – and travel – leaves marks on you. Most of the time, those marks – on your body or on your heart – are beautiful. Often, though, they hurt.”
And he is right about these experiences hurting.
But they hurt less if you understand them… and you have a crew of like-minded people at your side.
Want a Posse to have your back on your own adventures and 5 free travel lessons?
Here’s the deal: I believe thoughtful creatives, artists, writers, students, programmers, and coaches, who want to create a meaningful life, must embark on an adventure to find themselves.
But where do you look for that sort of guidance these days, when you have your full-time job, or a 15 credits of classes… not to mention needing time to hang with your friends, hanging with that special someone (or someones), and get your beauty rest?
Well, I hope you will join us at Adventure Sauce. I’m inviting you to subscribe to our email list now.
It is free and this inducts you into our Posse of +2,000 members, and as a reward, I created 5 travel lessons covering the basics of getting started: mindset, lodging, money, friends, and other stuff.
Then about every week I’ll send you a free newsletter with:
- Inspirational stories in video and writing
- Practical articles
- Timeless wisdom from the artists, adventurers, and mystics who have went before us
Oh… one warning though: I am not afraid to tell the truth about embarrassing, personal things, so if you are squeamish about cursing, sex, or drug topics, then maybe you want to find another blog to hang at. Not kicking you out or anything, just letting you know.
Well, you in? No pressure or anything
If you want to contact me through email with a question, comment, or feedback, you can reach my personal account here.
- Or give me a call: 734-355-6064
- Or send me something at my current address: 1908 E. 21st, Austin, TX 78722
Some people are talking about Adventure Sauce, and most of it is pretty sweet.
I have been in the Posse for about a year now and have been really enjoying what you have to say.
I know I may not be the most responsive member of the Posse, but I just want to let you know that you really are helping people out there. I have been working on “un-shying” myself using your book and the tips you have been putting out in your emails and some positive changes have been happening in my life.
I have joined the university ultimate frisbee team, gone on a few pretty crazy adventures recently, and have started dating an EXTREMELY attractive dancer. I don’t think any of this would have been possible had I never found your site. Keep it up man, you rock!
I can’t say enough about working with Benjamin Jenks.
I took his action course and gained world-rocking tools for improvement that I know I will use for the rest of my life. His course helped me to find my purpose in life and orient myself deeply within it. Working with him one on one was one of the best decisions I made in the past year. His friendliness, keen insight, and ability to understand what I was going though reinforced the inner strength and direction I developed in his course, but also gave insightful practical advice that I employed to immediately better my situation.
Benjamin is the MAN! -Marcus Miller
Dude, you are the m*thaf**kin’ sh*t you know that!
I appreciate what your doin’ and it’s not only inspirational but it’s life-changing shit what your doing. You’ve kind of got a “pay-it-forward thing” going because your positive outlook is contagious and has spread to me and I’m just givin that sh*t out like free samples at Sam’s Club. Anyway I’ll stop all the profanity, although sometimes things just resonate with people more if you add a little verbal spice as I like to.
Well thanks again, I like the emails and I’m in the process of following through on my dreams to, so talk to you later.
Peace, Louis Stevens
Now that my head is swollen to the size of Jupiter…
Here are a few embarrassing facts about me to bring me down to size (and some other facts too, in case you want to know more or are the stalker-type (like myself)).
- I pooped my pants in the second grade, because the blue canister (the bathroom pass) was being used.
- I pooped my pants again on a 10 mile run in high school. I was about a half mile from finishing.
- I didn’t drink a beer until after high school (but those first three Busch Lights sure were tasty).
- I ran +1000 days in a row in high school.
- I’m am fascinated by people and have a degree in psychology.
- I was a virgin until I was 21 years old, partially because I thought it would be cool to wait until marriage and partially because I was not too good with the ladies.
- My writing format looks like copywriting, but I really just like a lot of whitespace. Too much text boggles my mind.
- I’ve experimented with acid, marijuana, ecstasy, and psychedelic mushrooms.
- I’ve been to Burning Man twice.
- I can read people very well upon first glance and feel my intuition strongly.
- I like to eat meat lovers pizza, cochinita pibil tacos, deluxe nachos with Ann Arbor Tortilla Chips, and even gas station hot dogs.
- I’ve been meditating regularly for +10 months.
- I would most want to meet Carl Jung in person (or Kirsten Dunst… for different reasons)
- I love coaching people one-on-one to help them have the success I am grateful for.
- I will become a full-time video artist with full creative expression and freedom (this project fits into that plan).
- Right now, I am a part-time video artist, as I write freelance articles (mostly dating advice).
Click Start Here, if you want more information now.
Or take the plunge and enter your email address below, so 5 travel lessons to come shooting your way through the interwebz over the next couple weeks.
And you’ll be a full-fledged member of our Posse.